Friday, April 23, 2021

Some Thoughts on Conservatives, Libertarians, and Others

First, one on Libertarians - there's a lot of truth to this for ALL of those in the title above.

I find myself humming "When You're a Jet, You're a Jet All the Way..." I just can't. Can't imagine how this woman thinks.

Just one question:

What the hell is the POST OFFICE doing monitoring social media posts? Looks like what we all knew was true for some time - that the Post Office truly is filled with employees that don't do diddly - is finally being admitted.

So, the NBA is putting it's continued existence in jeopardy. Well, I'm SURE that employment opportunities will just flood in for extremely tall guys with - for many of them - too many kids, criminal records, substance abuse issues, and pretty much an educational level that would cause them to fail 6th grade.

The ones that will be all right - those that actually worked in school, stayed out of trouble, and didn't act 'street'. 

The rest - unemployable and broke within 1-2 years.

This is probably the most important post I've read in years. I've always jumped around in genre. Oh, I enjoy the crime/mystery genre, but I can't say that I identify with the criminal - I've always seen myself as the detective/amateur sleuth. For that reason, I've only a slight interest in true crime.

And, British mysteries have changed - they used to be filled with slightly eccentric but basically happy people. Now they are so bitter, angry, and unable to function that I cannot 'get into' that mindset. This also explains why the George Smiley books were so difficult for me to get involved with - I just had no desire to spend time with those people.

Which, if you accept the premise of this writer, may be a very good thing.

I read romance, but just have never gotten into the more descriptive sexually-oriented ones.

I like thrillers, particularly when part of the plot is to follow along with the protagonist, who is trying to stop a disaster. Tom Clancy, Jack Reacher, et al.

And, I enjoy history. Science. Science fiction (the more dreary focus on "we're all going to die after excruciating agony" type is NOT appealing). The Martian was one of my favorites - the struggle to survive, which focused on how one sole person was able to keep his drive to live alive, and overcome all challenges, was uplifting.

I'm reading Louis L'Amour's Last of the Breed right now (my brother and I are reading it, and plan to discuss it when we next talk). It's set during the Cold War period, and follows an Indian Air Force pilot, captured by the Soviets, who is trying to escape through Siberia. Very exciting, and filled with setbacks, which he works to overcome before he is captured again.

So, the theme of the individual, pitting his will and his brain against a cruel enemy is one that much of my reading is about. Which is not bad thing to fill your head with.

What is the life view of someone who keeps their reading content to horrifying or dystopian books? Can they possibly maintain a positive attitude? Will they succumb to despair, depression, and jaded resignation?

And, last - a test that most of the people I know would fail. Read it all, including the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment