I made a mistake
- You drop something breakable (and, were not trying to juggle it at the time).
- You write the wrong year on a form, in the first weeks of the New Year.
- You are horribly math-challenged (now, isn't that a nicer way to say Dumb as Dirt?), and bounced a check.
- Or, you and your spouse BOTH wrote some checks, and are now overdrawn (happened TWICE in the first years of our marriage - we learned to ASK before writing a check or using a check card).
- You blurted out a remark, and hurt someone's feelings/outraged them. If it was an accident, apologize, and expect that it will take some time (if ever) to repair the relationship. If you MEANT it, own up to it.
- Attention wander while driving? Cause a fender-bender? Yeah, I'd classify that as a mistake.
- Deliberately drink/drug, and cause the same damage or worse? NOT a mistake.