Monday, April 12, 2021

I've Decided to Dust Off This Site

Blogs come and blogs go. Sometimes, group blogs work well, and, well, sometimes they seem to fall apart in contentious bickering.

I am, despite a sometimes prickly post (nice alliteration, that), not all that fond of fighting. That, I suspect, is part of being a woman. We are capable to working from several aspects of thought - logical and emotional. We respect both. And, if someone's feathers get ruffled, or are rather deliberately kerfluffled, well, my instinctive response is to want to wade in, saying, "Now, dears, let's just settle down and play nice".

That doesn't generally work in the blog world, particularly in that portion inhabited by the politically oriented places. There, combat - often to figurative death - is the mode of the day.

I like the people on both sides, and think it's unfortunate that they couldn't step back from the ignition point. But, I also want to continue my blogging without making their fight MY fight, so I'm going to be posting here (with some linkage and cross-posting, as well).

This site will be Switzerland - Neutral territory. If you can't abide by the rules - no name calling, no insults to other commenters - then you won't be permitted to comment.

My place, my rules.

Now, on to some things that have caught my attention:

My reading tastes have changed. I'm reading relatively more nonfiction, of specific topics - prep, technology, and home finance. Apparently, I'm interested in preparing for any likely future scenarios.

I'm not reading as much 'fluff' content as I was last year. Even a few months ago, I had difficulty sustaining attention on more serious subjects. Now, I find that I can focus on more complex storylines. That's a refreshing change, and it has impacted my writing significantly.

The "Gotta Change Things in Politics RIGHT NOW" concerns seem to have settled down over the last few weeks. No, that's NOT because pResident Biden has proven to be such a good administrator or leader. He is NOT.

The decisions he has made are proving to be an unprecedented disaster; we should let him continue, as he is shooting himself in the foot.

But, but, but...won't America be over-run with all of those illegal trespassers?

Perhaps not. I remember the last time the economy tanked, and jobs were scarce in the Charlotte area. With so little work in construction and other jobs primarily filled by illegals, most of them did what all the experts said that they would NEVER do.

They self-deported - left, going back to their home country. I know, because the school I was teaching at suddenly experienced a sharp drop in enrollment of Spanish-speaking kids.

The average person is in a re-grouping mode. The Elite are still trying to agitate up outrage and action - both on the Right and the Left.

However, most of us - the 'regular' people - are working to shore up our personal lives - financially, emotionally, and spiritually - and working to ensure that we will not be left standing unarmed, should the Leftstapo appear on our doorstep. It's also that you just can't sustain a high state of emergency for any length of time. Eventually, you become exhausted from the adrenaline drain.

We're getting back to work. We're re-joining family events. We're - most of us - getting the vaccine. I recently got the 2nd Moderna shot, and I have to say, neither dose caused any reaction. No allergic attack, no sickness on subsequent days, no ongoing lassitude or odd symptoms.

So, that's a relief.

At home, my husband and I are doing taxes; in that endeavor, our major goal is to finish without a fight involving the word "divorce". Sometimes, we manage it.

Like this year. Fortunately, we have only a few hours of work ahead of us - I started this some time ago. My husband handles the "didjas" - didja remember to enter that business trip? Didja deduct the plane trips for conferences?

He also has to calculate the mileages - business, medical, charity.

So far, so good.

The house could use some cleanup. Unfortunately, I'm once again sidelined with a painful knee. Painful enough to put in a call to the ortho guy, as I cannot put weight on that leg.

But, in general, life is improving. We're both immunized, with 2nd shots. We can look forward to seeing the family in the next few weeks. No one is in dire medical or other crisis, and we will have another great-grandchild - a girl this time, within the next few months.

And, it's spring - nicer weather, but not so warm that it encourages the rioters to start gathering.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Linda,
    Site bookmarked. Any chance of a subscribe function?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hadn't thought about it, but - I'll look into it - probably later today.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete