Tuesday, May 4, 2021

I'm Not Going to Comment Much

The Gates impending divorce is occupying a ridiculous amount of attention in the media. Rather than tsk-tsking about the sadness of the breakdown of a long-term marriage, they are salivating at prospects of a 'juicy' headline or two.

I'm a Catholic. Although I do acknowledge that divorce or separation may be the best choice when continued cohabitation is no longer possible, I realize the pain that such a drastic step represents (both at the time, and for years after).

That's not to say that I've never had random thoughts of splitting up. Anyone who says they have never contemplated divorce (or spousal murder) will probably lie about other things. Living with others can be difficult, even if you are not related - remember those fights with roommates?

The media seems shocked that there was no pre-nup. I'm not - to insist on signing such a document seems to bolster the idea that the marriage will break up. And, that is, in fact, not allowed in a Catholic marriage. For us, it SHOULD be a one-time event. To sign a pre-nup indicates lack of a full commitment to that marriage.

I won't be following the situation any further - it's none of my business, and I have no desire to wallow in titillation over another's pain. The Gate's marriage problems show that, even with money, such a state is not without stress. It's just another proof that Money Does Not Bring Lack of Problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment