Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Books to Have in HARD Copy

What would your list look like? This post (and the comments) sparked my own thoughts.

You know I'm under the weather when I spend most of a day just meandering through what might turn out to be interesting blogs. On one such today, I found people talking about stocking up - and the thing that caught my eye was physical books.

My list would include:
  • The Bible - I have a Douay-Rheims version, bought early in my marriage at an estate sale.
  • My ham radio collection - some of which are in e-format, but many in hard copy. It was an accident - the physical books were given to me as a premium for buying stuff on the ARRL site.
  • Home canning books - I was shopping at Lehmann's with my prep-minded sister, and was buying seeds and canning supplies. I decided that, should we absolutely NEED these, the 'Net might not be available, so chose to buy some hard copies of them.
  • Recipe books (we have MANY, as my husband is an addict), as well as printed-out copies from web recipes that worked.
  • Repair/maintenance manuals - car, household, appliance, etc.
  • Home medicine books. Somewhere, I used to have several, but they have been outdated. Please, put some suggestions in the comments.
  • Homestead-y type books - making soap, spinning wool, weaving techniques. How to convert an electric sewing machine to a human-powered one. Farming on a small scale. Planting a survival garden. Pesticides that work. Making pet food at home. Building a solar backup system for your home. Making candles. Add any more to the comments.
  • Learning books for children - both good fiction, and useful skills. Also, some books that will help them learn math and science.

No comments:

Post a Comment