Saturday, December 11, 2021

What I’ve Been Reading Lately

 Some fluff, some practical, some deeper topics. 

The fluff:

  • Murder mysteries of the most airy kind, barely concealed crimes with a lot of romance mixed in.
  • Pop culture
  • Celebrity bios
The practical:
  • Cookbooks - online and offline
  • Home repair, sewing techniques/patterns, decorating tips
  • Writing techniques, plot development
  • Radio topics - these I’m taking in small bites. Very dense reading, mostly
Deeper topics:
  • History
  • Political theory, preferably not at night. I fall right asleep
One I picked up a long time ago - To Set the Record Straight: How Swift Boat Veterans, POWs, and the New Media Defeated John Kerry, is my go-to reading when taking a break. The story is familiar enough to keep me engaged, yet continues to surprise me with new information about the events that brought in Bush II.

The beauty of reading history is that it gives you background on how things today got started, takes your mind off immediate worries, and keeps your brain active.

Better than stewing about the chuckleheadeded politicians busy paying off their donors, running the economy into the ground, and personally enriching themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment