Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Amateur Radio for the Newb

Which, although I've had a license for 5 years, would be me.
I've been semi-active on UHF and VHF since the beginning. Just too busy for regular comms.
I bought an HF radio (for long-distance communication), but have seldom used it, even on 2 meter band. I was beginning to work HF this last summer, thanks to friends with good antennas, but I hadn't been able to persuade my husband to OK putting up the feed.
When I bought the house in Lorain, I looked into getting an antenna that could also be used in portable operations. I considered the magnetic-loop type, but members of my club warned me that they emitted a LOT of high-energy radiation (RF). So, I looked into vertical types.
And, I found the Eagle One vertical, made by a gentlemen in the lower part of OH. I ordered it, and it arrived in short order. I've only had it out 1 time since arrival - either I had other things I had to do, often away from home, or the weather didn't cooperate.
Well, today is free of rain/high winds, so I'll be putting it up and testing it out later today. I'd like to leave it up until a little later this evening, and take advantage of using bands that are more active at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment