Monday, January 23, 2023

End of January Roundup

I've been busy - mostly getting things done, but - to be honest - sometimes avoiding work. Right now, I'm in SC, clearing out clutter, and getting ready for packing up what remains. Barring unforeseen delays, we should be selling before spring.

The idea that families need sone assistance with raising their children is not a new one; those that headed west, without extended family, and settled in isolated places, often found themselves in situations that led to depression, emotional instability, and - worst case - madness. There are some horrifying stories about life on the prairies, that serve as a corrective to the Little House stories (and, to be fair, the Ingalls family did work to grow and maintain ties with other community members).

I spent a lot of time by myself, when our children were young. My husband worked long hours, often at quite a distance from home. Sometimes, I would go weeks without seeing other people, other than brief attendance at mass.

Some things helped:

  • Books - at that time, physical books were the only ones available. The first thing I did every time we moved, was to locate the local library. That often became a lifeline for me. The hardest time period was the two winters we lived in Bradford, PA. The weather was so cold - sometimes hitting 50 below 0 wind chill - that I wasn't able to take my daughter outside. I depended on family to help out so I had opportunities to get away from the house. My husband was in his last year at college, and, between his studies and work, truly had little time for us. With no car, no local bus service, and LOTS of snow, I was truly stuck. And the house was on a hill - there was a steep wooden walkway to navigate before being able to be at street level.
  • Journaling - I filled multiple books with entries about my life. It kept me going to get it all off my chest. Later, I began writing stories - first, for children, then for myself. In multiple moves, I lost most of that work.
  • Learning to make friends with nearby residents. That served me well after retiring; unlike my husband, I wasn't limited to work friends. Some of those friends endured. I will be grateful to all of them forever.
  • Projects - mostly crafts. I sewed, knitted, and crocheted. Seeing the completion of those activities gave me a real boost. I learned to bake bread, which was a lifesaver when home-bound due to weather. I even learned to make mayonnaise, which saved the day when I had run out, with a cupboard filled with tuna.
However, turning your kids over to a totalitarian society to indoctrinate with Leftist propaganda was never a thought. This story about a woman who did so is incomprehensible to me.


The very trademark of the Modern State - overspending the people's money - may yet be our salvation. Without all that loot, y'all can't pay the Minions. And, if you can't do that, then the Deep State implodes.

Time to return government to to most local level, where the average citizen has more control over the process.

This review of M3gan makes me want to see it. You decide for yourself.

This type of systemic abuse makes me think that revision of the concept of Sovereign Immunity needs to be high on the list for the new House. When a person, or groups of people, employed by a government entity, act in ways that specifically are NOT in the best interests of the public, and appear to be discriminatory, as well, it constitutes an argument for making restitution of their abuses a PERSONAL responsibility.

In other words, the perps need to make a payout from their OWN personal savings, including their Public Employee Retirement. Otherwise, they profit from their own crimes/abuses, offloading the cost onto the taxpaying public.



Oh, Honey, Honey, Honey!

Lemme tell 'ya. I'm related to a lot of WV rural/urban folks. Some of whom have been North for generations, yet retain that innate Shit-Kicker Attitude. There are some Cliches about Hill Folk that have an actual basis in fact:
  • They are uneducated. Well, that's one of those often misunderstood "factoids". Politifact ranks this as "False". Of course, we know what Politifact's ranking are worth.
    • If you look at English Literacy and Numeracy, the state is in the lowest 25%. A significant part of that is because, once educated, the tendency of residents is to move to other states - whether for job or military service. That brings the overall average down.
    • The state falls right in the middle of per-pupil spending. Considering that it falls low on the income level, that's commitment to education.
    • However, Politifact does something I've seen other sites do before. They manage to bundle data in such a way as to produce a number/percent that allows them to make their point - however they had to twist the data. Politifact combines local, state, and Federal spending on education, so as to drive the numbers down for WV.
    • The statement by the GOP was about WV spending, not city (mostly poor) or national (not generally in their control).
  • They are pugnacious. Well, kinda not true. If you mind your own da** business, y'uns shouldn't oughta have a problem.
  • They are stubborn. 100% True. We have a saying in my house, there's Stubborn, and then there is WV Stubborn. We are NOT easy to budge from our opinions or course of action.
A high percentage of WV residents do have experience with guns, whether military or personal training. Many live in isolated parts of the state, and even those who are more urban often experience challenges with police response time - often due to the extreme terrain of the Appalachian Mountains. I've driven them in ice, rain, fog, and snow - it is NOT a walk in the park. As a result, many citizens are prepared to take their personal defense into their own hands.

In short, PLEASE put any such attack on Streaming - I'd gladly PAY to see that!

No comments:

Post a Comment