With all the talk about people paying their “fair share” of income taxes, why do nearly half the people in this country pay no income taxes at all? Is that their “fair share”? Or is creating more recipients of government handouts, at no cost to themselves, simply a strategy to gain more votes?
Assistance from others is SUPPOSED to be short-term. Only in rare cases (permanent disability, partial or total) is the help meant to continue. What our Liberal government has done is TAKE money from those that earned it, to give to others, who have NOT.
- Taking from working-class taxpayers to give to upper-middle class kids to attend college - either directly, through grants, or indirectly, through loans.
- Taking from those who work minimum-wage jobs, so others can hold out for a better-paying job when unemployed.
- Taking from those who DIDN'T go overboard with home price, and subsequently lose value in the home, to give to those who bought ridiculously overpriced homes with WAY too much footage.
- Taking from working mothers to give to welfare mothers - who could bloody well get a job, just like the person that is paying their support through taxes.
No one is suggesting that we let people starve. BUT, have you seen the poundage on many of the "poor"? They're NOT in the last stages of starvation.
What I am suggesting is that this is a time of crisis, which calls for triage. If people are needy, we should:
- Provide emergency food
- Provide emergency shelter
That's it, folks. That food may not be prime rib, but it should keep them alive. The shelter may not be palatial, but it should keep them warm and dry. If people lose their homes, maybe they'll learn not to bite off so large a hunk of the pie. If people won't work a minimum-wage job, they're not hungry enough.
Anything more, they'll have to find a charity to supply. Government is NOT a charity. Assistance is for EMERGENCIES.